At Stapleton Family Karate we understand that everyone has to start somewhere. We put together this list of sparring tips for beginners to help start you out on the right foot!
1. Throw your punches with speed, relaxation and technique, never try for power.
2. You don’t have to always see the opening for a specific punch. Just throw you combo sharply and quick and often the opening comes in the middle of your combo.
3. After your done punching, move away to either side. Your even better to stand your ground than backing straight up.
4. When you think you’re jabbing a lot, jab twice as much.
5. If you get into trouble, place both gloves on your temples, covering your face and jaw with the forearms and move, move, move.
6. When blocking strikes try not to tense your arms. Simply raise your arms up to protect yourself. This is easier said then done.
7. Keep you chin down at all times.
8. Mix up your attacks, try to be as unpredictable as you can with your combinations.
9. Pace yourself. Use your defensive and offensive techniques instead of just attacking the entire time.
10.Never give up. Taking a bit of a beating in the beginning is all part of the learning process. Stick with it and you will slowly become more like a hammer instead of the nail.